Ancaster Canadian Reformed Church, Ancaster ON
Wallace & Co. Opus 78 (2018)
The church was built in 1994 in a modern style, with a good acoustic and seating for 500. Initially the church had an electronic instrument, and the David Wallace company of Maine was commissioned to build a new organ in 2017. It was designed to support strong congregational singing, as well as offer a wide range of stops. These include an 8′ trumpet (Gt), 8′ Sw Oboe, and a 16′ Pedal Trombone. The action is all mechanical, both keys and stops, and the Swell division is under expression. The result is an historically informed 21st century tracker organ designed with the demands of the modern organist in mind. The instrument was dedicated at a major combined service in October 2018.
Address: 575 Shaver Road, Ancaster ON, L9G 3K9
Baylor University’s Markham Organ Studio, Waco TX
Létourneau Opus 34 (1993) – III/30
This fine mechanical action instrument is in regular use by Baylor organ students and faculty, and is voiced to match the room. It is unchanged since its installation in 1993.
Central Presbyterian Church, Hamilton ON
Casavant Opus 321 (1908, 1982, 1999) – IV/80
Built in 1908 in Beaux-Arts style by John M. Lyle, the Paris-trained architect, the imposing building is symmetrical and well-proportioned. Its most distinctive features – semi-circular stairwells to balconies at the ends of each transept, an elegant, open-arch tower and a tapering, octagonal spire – offset the flat wall surfaces and create a striking external profile. The organ has four manuals plus a floating Echo division. Installed in 1908 as the second complete Casavant organ in Hamilton, it is generally considered the finest in the city. Tonal revisions were carried out by Alan T. Jackson, of Toronto, in 1982 and 1999. The console was rebuilt in 2008, with 250 memory levels, MIDI, and recording playback.
Address: 165 Charlton Avenue W (at Caroline), Hamilton ON, L8P 2C8
Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Toronto ON
Breckles & Matthews (1905) – III/27, Rebuilt by Casavant (1980) – III/51, Renovated (2017) John G. Struve Company
Healey Willan was organist from 1921 to 1968. During his extraordinary tenure the Tuba was installed, and the console moved up to the choir gallery. Under his successor, Giles Bryant, the organ was rebuilt and expanded from 28 stops to 51. In 1980 the organ was rededicated as the Healey Willan Memorial Organ. The console and action were rebuilt in 2017 and extensive tonal improvements were made.
CIOC Bach-Mobile, Montreal QC
In the fall of 2020, with funding from the Conseil des arts de Montréal, CIOC acquired a digital organ and trailer, christened the “Bach-Mobile.” The console is a Hauptwerk organ, which can be set up to give the sounds of different organs that have been electronically sampled. The trailer has its own power supply and the sound is heard through speakers mounted on the trailer, or it can be recorded directly for higher quality. The trailer can readily be moved around the Montreal area to give pop-up outdoor concerts, which always attract a crowd, completely transforming the concept of an organ concert! Thanks to the talents of the CIOC team and film crew, the Bach-Mobile videos were a huge success, garnering nearly 16,000 views in October 2020 alone.
Holy Family Church, Toronto ON
Gabriel Kney (1970) / Gober Organs (2001) – III/55
The organ was originally built in the 1970’s by Gabriel Kney & Co. for a large music room in a London ON residence. Following the destruction by fire of the previous church, together with its Brunzema organ, this residence organ was acquired by the church and placed in storage until the new building was completed in 2001. The Rückpositiv case remains unchanged. Gober Organs designed and built an entirely new Great façade case and pipes whose design echoes the Rückpositiv. Virtually every rank of pipes was increased in scale and tonally modified. The result is a warm and intensely colourful tone, which is in harmony with the elegant appearance of the façade and worthy of the rich acoustics of the new church.
St. Basil’s Church – St. Michael’s College, Toronto ON
Casavant Opus 800/2578 (1919/1981), Revised 1962, 1981, 2017
St. Basil’s Church, built in 1856, is the founding church of the Congregation of St. Basil in Toronto, the college church of St. Michael’s College, and a parish church serving a large local congregation. Prior to 1919 there was a Warren organ in the gallery, which obscured the rose window. The 2017 improvements included tonal enhancements to give greater clarity to the sound and installing 250 memory levels.
St. Joseph’s Church, Hamilton ON
Casavant Opus 1780 (1945), Expanded (2005) – II/29
Founded in 1894, on the then lightly-populated Western edge of the city, St. Joseph’s is today the heart of a busy and popular area of Hamilton. The renovated interior is light and spacious, with the organ and choir loft in the west end gallery. The large two manual Casavant instrument speaks well into the church.
West End Christian Reformed Church, Edmonton AB
Létourneau Opus 23 (1991) – II/35
This classic mechanical action instrument is ideally positioned at the front of the church, where it is easy to have an adjacent piano. The current building was erected in 1991, with the organ included in the design from the beginning. There is a good acoustic, and the organ is voiced to support enthusiastic hymn singing, as well as including some unusual stops and delicate effects.